Saturday, September 10, 2016

Tamar Aphek - Dream inside a dream



When the credits rolled last night at the end of "One Week and a Day", I stayed a bit longer than I needed to in my seat, and I wasn't the only one. I needed a minute or two to process what I had seen before heading out into the crowded and noisy mall. Asaph Polonsky uses a number of artistic elements in his debut feature film and one of the strongest is his use of music. I first heard a bit of this song in the trailer for the movie, and it was one of the reasons why I wanted to go and see it. Tamar Aphek's music throughout the film adds an emotional layer but also keeps things from getting too heavy. The scene where 'Dream inside a dream' appears illustrates how loved ones deal with death in different ways while at the same time it feels like a much-needed gasp of oxygen in a suffocating reality.

Tired from hearing you talk
Can't hear you walk inside the house
While I'm asleep
I'm in a dream
You were a dream
Inside a dream inside a dream

What? I can't understand
Say it again
I was thinking about something else
A violent drive, ash trays in cars
Spending April behind bars

Fun, we never had fun
It's not what we had
Doesn't mean anything bad
You had your life and I had mine
Dinners, hospitals and wine

What? I can't understand
Say it again
I was thinking about something else
A violent house, ash trays in bars
Spending August inside cars


No comments:

Post a Comment