Monday, January 11, 2016

Folly Tree - Quicksand



Like many others, I was also quite shaken by David Bowie's death. When a friend told me the news it was still very fresh and I thought maybe it was a hoax just because it seemed so odd. David Bowie takes me back to middle school when I was just starting to form my musical taste, and when I was searching for music that made me feel something. I think I went from album to album on iTunes, picking my favorite songs and trying to download them from eMule, on the way learning about his different phases and styles. It's not a surprise that he appealed to outsiders, offering a colorful and alternative haven where you could be as strange as you pleased. I wasn't familiar with this precious track before I came across this collection of Bowie covers by indie Israeli artists, a true labor of love. I also wasn't familiar with Folly Tree, who have just released a fresh new single. Folly Tree presents a wonderful closer to the album with this track which highlights Bowie's intellectual curiosity covered with a comforting layer. I still don't completely get all the references, nor the overall meaning, but it's a song which makes you think and realize that there is always so much to learn. Rest in peace.

I'm closer to the Golden Dawn
Immersed in Crowley's uniform
Of imagery
I'm living in a silent film
Portraying
Himmler's sacred realm
Of dream reality
I'm frightened by the total goal
Drawing to the ragged hole
And I ain't got the power anymore
No I ain't got the power anymore

I'm the twisted name
on Garbo's eyes
Living proof of
Churchill's lies
I'm destiny
I'm torn between the light and dark
Where others see their targets
Divine symmetry
Should I kiss the viper's fang
Or herald loud
the death of Man
I'm sinking in the quicksand
of my thought
And I ain't got the power anymore

Don't believe in yourself
Don't deceive with belief
Knowledge comes
with death's release

I'm not a prophet
or a stone age man
Just a mortal
with the potential of a superman
I'm living on
I'm tethered to the logic
of Homo Sapien
Can't take my eyes
from the great salvation
Of bullshit faith
If I don't explain what you ought to know
You can tell me all about it
On, the next Bardo
I'm sinking in the quicksand
of my thought
And I ain't got the power anymore

No comments:

Post a Comment