A post I came across from the InDnegev festival: 25 years ago, Berry Sakharof's The Other was released, a special and different album, demanding and sometimes gloomy, released into a difficult and chaotic national atmosphere - terrorist attacks, exploding buses, and the Second Intifada.
Out of this chaos and difficulty, a glimmer of hope emerged from Sakharof's work through a gaze "towards the Other", inspired by the writings of the Jewish-French philosopher Emmanuel Levinas and the ethics he developed, based on a direct encounter with "the face of the Other". At times, this moral imperative is stated explicitly, at other moments in the album, it and its implications are implied and illustrated as an alternative to how 'Israeliness' deals with the complex reality.
Out of this chaos and difficulty, a glimmer of hope emerged from Sakharof's work through a gaze "towards the Other", inspired by the writings of the Jewish-French philosopher Emmanuel Levinas and the ethics he developed, based on a direct encounter with "the face of the Other". At times, this moral imperative is stated explicitly, at other moments in the album, it and its implications are implied and illustrated as an alternative to how 'Israeliness' deals with the complex reality.
The Other is a timeless work rooted in a very, very specific time, and it seems that even today the materials created a quarter of a century ago still resonate and are incredibly relevant to this current, confusing, and harsh period.
The decision we made to keep InDnegev in Mitzpe Gvulot and in the Gaza Envelope, taking part in the area's renewed flourishing, was quick and very clear, back in the dark days of October 2023.
And yet, throughout this whole period, we've grappled with the value of this decision and what it means: what is the message and meaning of our existential need to be here in this space, what we're able to do, and what our role is in this moment and in this time.
The Other holds within it many of the answers to the questions that occupied us during this period (and a few new ones...)
Engaging in creative work in a period of chaos, confusion, and pain, speaking and writing honestly and directly about reality as we experience and understand it, and constantly trying to direct an open and loving gaze at and about the other, not out of fear and terror, but out of the desire to discover the humanity in him and in us.
InDnegev strives to be an open and enabling space, capable of containing complexities and imagining the reality in which we would like to live. This year we have chosen to mark and to highlight this work as a central theme that will guide the festival, both internally and externally, and many of the artworks at the festival will focus on the Other.
We invite you to dive into this incredible work again, which even from the distance of time still sounds amazing, and to join us in the rebuilding of InDnegev, this year in its full format again.
I was only familiar with Monsoon, the only single from The Other, so I heard the album for the first time, and wow, it really blew me away. It was just what I needed to hear. Here is the complete album, with the help of translations from LyricsTranslate:
Movie
Day, day and night
You're in a different movie
Monsoon
We'll burn time, we'll burn, burn / Everything that's between us
Let the moment pass / The past is still ahead of us
Just as I came, I left / It's all dreams
And maybe I wasn't there to love
I must have forgotten / Maybe I went far
I can't love you from up close
The thirst for love / And a hunger that lasts
And there is a lily and there is a thorn in it / And a small scratch in the heart
Just as you came to me you left me / It's all dreams
And maybe you weren't there to love
I must have been forgotten / You went far
It must be like that in dreams
Trembling
The house is trembling over me
Wind from the sea, fire on the mountain
Crooked and disjointed
Here it begins, here it ends
Everyone is on their feet
Half a pill, half erased
Time is split in two
The clock ticks backwards
And I see double
A black and white light of illusions
The house is trembling over me, swaying side to side
And it seems that in the meantime
The Messiah is waiting for an invitation
On the cellphone, in the bizarre
In a dream and in hope
The house is trembling over me
A crack is bleeding from the ceiling
The fear in the eyes
And the heart, the heart is in a suitcase
Smoke on the water
The sun is gray, the light is blocked
The noise in the ears
The sweat that sticks to the body
And I see double...
Dust on the Shoes
It's so nice to just walk / As if we were never here
In light steps on the sidewalk / Let the streets clean you
There is a bustle all around / Like bees when springtime arrives
Sometimes it seems we are not alone / Or I am you, we are everyone
We are everyone
There are those who hide their horns / And others who have glued wings to themselves
Walking to the beat, everyone on their feet / Left right, right and left, dust on the shoes
There is a bustle all around / Like bees when springtime arrives
Sometimes it seems we are not alone / Or I am you, we are everyone
We are everyone
Madness Again
Madness again / Drilling in my head
From the closet / The demon escapes
Just like that, suddenly / The rope broke
In an ancient fervor / The dam was breached
Someone said (these are) the birth pangs of the Messiah/ Today it burns (but tomorrow) tomorrow it will grow
What is hidden from you promises / That the answer my friend is blowing in the wind
No solution / is certain
The horizon is close / The wound is open
Again the dream / Is caught in the net
And into the imagination / Reality invades
Someone said..
Seeing but Not Seeing
And these are the days / nights of canned goods / eyes up and down and sideways / seeing but not seeing / so little is necessary / so much is needed / moving moving moving / lost in relationships / and the love boat / shows only reruns / on those days / the heart is locked up / converting the pain into the pain of others / the heart is locked up / they go and sing / an anthem to indifference / a voice still in the heart gets lost / seeing but not seeing / in a sea of holes / the whole is always greater than the sum of parts / mine is his is yours / yours is not mine / it doesn't matter / you and I, they've said it before / it doesn't matter / just a tool
The Other
Let the mouth speak
Let the tongue release
With the face to the other
Who you did not know
The train will whistle
It's time to get on
The carriage of the spirits
That you forgot
So do not be afraid
And do not look from the sidelines
Because you are not alone in the world
With the face towards the other
You will discover yourself
With the face towards the other
The barrier will break
The word will bridge
The enemy is a friend
Who you neglected
So do not be afraid
And do not look from the sidelines
Because you are not alone in the world
With the face
Towards the other
I Surrender to You
You can never see the signs
Of the angels on the lines
What's already etched like a letter
On the faces of the go-getters
Not on my face, no, not at all
Because you tell me to heed your call
And in this world there's no distance
From you to me that can't be missed
I leave so I can return once more
Swift as a heart, bright as a light's allure
Give up on me, give up..
Please...
I descend to the ships below
Caught up in all the storms that blow
Tell me what
Tell me what's with you?
I'm choking amidst the debris
Breathing deep the waves of the sea
Tell me what
Tell me what's with you?
Your voice is like childhood days
Too strong, refusing to phase
With you, it'll be hard to die
Foolish to sink in pain's lie
The day fades without compromise
The blindness of the nights' disguise
Strikes forever its fears in vain
I'm tired of this hunger's strain
I leave so I can return once more
Broken like a heart, weak like a light's allure
Give up on me, give up...
Please...
I escape outside of time's hold
And you pull me back, so bold
I surrender
I surrender to you
The love that doesn't let go
This body, why is it torn so?
I surrender
I surrender to you
I descend to the ships below
Caught up in all the storms that blow
I'm choking amidst the debris
Casting deep the waves of the sea
I surrender
I surrender to you
Brilliant translation by Pentas
There Is, There Is, There Is
An array of colors above the water
Good morning, skies
There is, there is, there is
Glasses, shoes
Teeth marks
There is, there is, there is
This is how we pass
Through all kinds of things
This is how we know
Chocolate bars
The memory is still sweet
Who is alone and who is together
We have no fear
None, none, none
There is a place, there is a time
And there are all kinds of things
In motion every time
Like always...
City of Refuge
A stunning cover to Ehud Banai's classic.
Before this drizzle turns into a flood
I must find an unlocked gate
Because the blues came back to me again
I must leave, I must move
On the winding road between Acre and Safed
In Tiberias on the dock, I go all the way down to Eilat
Cast out, fleeing, seeking a city of refuge
Cast out, fleeing, seeking - a city of refuge
Out on the horizon, the distant lights sparkle
I will get there with my last bit of strength
And you, wait for me at the entrance and turn on the light
A man returns to you from the frost
Take me to the altar, before I break
And until the truth comes out I will hide in you
Because you, yes you, will be my - city of refuge
Yes, until the truth comes out I will hide in you
Until the storm passes and the ice breaks
Until a flowing spring opens and gushes forth
Until the judge comes and acquits us
You, yes you, will be my - city of refuge
Master of the Universe
This haunting song was written by Bari Hazak, Z"'L, a soldier who fell in the Yom Kippur War.
Please amplify the strength of your signal
I can't hear you over here, I don't know
Did you stick a piece of shrapnel in the antenna's lapel again?
You're so gentle
Why are you so soft?
Why are you so civil?
Do I sound clear? Over,
Over, you're breaking up too
You sound injured, you're
In a valley well-surrounded
By mountains and a different Kinneret
Please announce the strength of your signal
Can't see your face on the radar
Why aren't you driving a half-track?
Why aren't you fighting?
Should I send a motorized patrol your way?
I am certain
That it won't arrive and won't return
A black wound
Please lower the strength of your signal
The treetops of the cypresses
Are whispering your name in vain as evening falls
And the lonely Northern Star
Where will it steer your army of wagons?
Where will it lead you with them?
Please close your eyes
I hear you now, Roger
You can finally die
Bereaved father, I can no longer feel
The tears of winter will say Kaddish for you
The End
No comments:
Post a Comment