Saturday, September 21, 2024

Pablo Rosenberg and Gal Toren - Changes in the Weather


I thought of this clip recently which is taken from Pablo Rosenberg and Gal Toren's very successful show 'Trip after the Army'. In the first season they followed in the footsteps of young Israelis just out of the army who traveled to India, and in later seasons they went to South America and Japan, always combining their curiosity for new places with humor and their love for singing with people. In the 5th season they traveled throughout the country and this clip was filmed in Rehaniya, a Circassian town near the border of Lebanon. In the episode the mother explains that they are Muslims who make an effort to preserve their Circassian heritage - at school, the kids learn Circassian, Hebrew, Arabic, and English. While they preserve their Circassian culture they are also part of Israeli society and Pablo and Gal chose to sing this Shlomo Artzi classic after hearing from the mother how much she loves him, and also after she told them about her late husband who passed away three years earlier. I love everything about this clip but it's painful to realize that visiting Rehaniya is unthinkable today, a situation that needs to be changed though no one can guarantee that this new stage of escalation we're in will really bring life back to normal in Rehaniya and in other towns in the north.


An excellent translation of the full version by Moshe Kaye, taken from LyricsTranslate:

Changes in the weather have caused me to think
that in addition I am also sad about you
near the house that was my home, they have paved a road
I know, something here changes.
Here is a cloud,
similar to other clouds that already passed by and despite it all I still see shapes

Once I would come close
with all my body for your kisses,
I would come to you, to learn everything.
Once there were with me other people
I am left with only their names
the sea also wipes away names - written in the sand.
but now I know, 
that despite it all you are with me,
and together, the two of us together, were born.

Changes in the people have made me think
that besides you I don't have anyone to love
near the house that was my home, they have paved a road
I know something about good and evil.
Here is the sea
Similar to another sea, and another sea and thus it will continue.
There is always the sea, there is always a boat.

Once I would come close...

That which you said and which you didn't made me think
That our words are meeting.
Near the house that was my home, they have paved a road
They gave it a name, they always give names.
Here you are also
Sometimes you are similar to the sea, and sometimes no
Sometimes you are there, sometimes you are here

Once I would come close...

No comments:

Post a Comment